Frederick E. Wigen
(born 1916, Saginaw, Michigan; died 2003, Saginaw, Michigan)
Leslie Tincknell, FAIA - Joined firm in 1958 - still in practice
John T. Meyer, FAIA - Joined firm in 1947 - still in practice
Firm established in 1947 as Frederick E. Wigen, Architect, Saginaw, Michigan
Name changed to Wigen Tincknell & Associates in 1963
Name changed to Wigen Tincknell Meyer & Associates in 1976. Firm continues under that name.
After graduating from the University of Michigan in 1939, Frederick E. Wigen worked in various architectural offices in Saginaw, Detroit and Midland. These included the office of Frantz and Spence and Alden B. Dow. In 1947 he founded the firm of Frederick E. Wigen, Architect. Originally located in the Wiechmann Building in the 100 block of South Jefferson, in 1963 the name of the firm was changed to Wigen Tincknell & Associates and in 1976 to Wigen Tincknell Meyer & Associates, the name under which the firm continues to operate.
The firm built a strong reputation for their modern designs. As the field developed, they took a leadership role in historic preservation. On South Jefferson Avenue, the firm has contributed both designs for modern buildings and undertaken restoration and adaptive reuse of historic buildings. Their modern work is represented in the chapel and education wing at Grace United Methodist Church and the 1960 addition to Hoyt Library. Their work in historic preservation is represented by their work at Hoyt Library and their conversion of the People’s Building and Loan Association building to their office in 2001.
Addition to Hoyt Library; Renovation and Restoration of Hoyt Library
Addition to Grace United Methodist Church
Renovation and Restoration of Jefferson One Building
Kempton Elementary School
Adaptive reuse of Andersen Pool for use as the Andersen Enrichment Center
Restoration and renovations to Bay City Hall
Restoration work on State Capitol Building
“Retiring Architect Leaves Mark on Area.” The Saginaw News. 30 July 1981.
Saginaw City Directories
Outline of Company history supplied by Wigen Tincknell Meyer & Associates