614 South Jefferson - Residence
(Constructed as a residence for Mr. & Mrs. Louis Mautner)
Architect: Attributed to J. Fred Beckbissinger, Saginaw, Michigan
614 S. Jefferson was constructed in 1916 for Mr. and Mrs. Louis Mautner. Mr. Mautner was a partner in the popular clothing store, Mautner and Krause, located on E. Genesee. The restrained exterior is enriched with buttresses at the front corners and at the front entrance. Their form is echoed in the playful curve of the roof line. The current asphalt roofing shingles are not original and replaced the original tile roofing. The front entrance is reached by a broad terrace with built in planter boxes. The massive brick walls are enlivened by false buttresses at the corner and a geometric pattern of brick and stone squares at the cornice line and at the front entrance.
Mills, James Cooke. History of Saginaw County Michigan. Saginaw, Michigan: Seeman & Peters, Publishers. 1918. II:125.
Saginaw City Directories