604 SOUTH JEFFERSON
OFFICE - Freid Gallagher & Associates PC
(Constructed as a residence for Mr. & Mrs. Otto Schupp)
By the early twentieth-century, Saginaw had been transformed. As Michigan’s third largest city, with an economy focusing on the emerging automotive industry, it was a thriving community. It had fully recovered from the collapse of the lumber industry in the late 1880s. Throughout the city new commercial buildings and residences were being constructed. New architectural styles were developed to express this new industrial age. However, some clients and designers found inspiration for their designs in America’s Colonial past.
In its form and detail, 604 South Jefferson is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival. It was constructed for Mr. and Mrs. Otto Schupp. Mr. Schupp had a varied career, much of it relating to Saginaw’s growth as an industrial center. He started his career working as a lumber scaler in logging camps and rose to become the president of the Bank of Saginaw. During his career, he participated in the creation of the businesses that transformed Saginaw into an industrial center.
Today, the house is used as an office.
Otto Schupp. The Saginaw News. 9 November 1941. 1.
Saginaw City Directories