CONSUMERS POWER COMPANY BUILDING
600 Federal Avenue
Architect: Albert Kahn, Detroit, Michigan
Constructed as an office building and appliance showroom for the Consumers Power Company, this building was erected at the same time as the Bank of Saginaw that stood immediately to the East. They were independent buildings; however, they were by the same architect, Albert Kahn, and were intended to complement each other.
While Kahn is best known for factory and industrial buildings, he was comfortable and skilled in adapting and working in classical styles. In the case of this building, he employed simple classical detailing on the limestone clad exterior; however, the interior hints at the source of renown as a designer of functional work places. The offices on the second and third floors are carefully considered and designed - all have superb natural light and ventilation. Although there is some trim and detailing related to the exterior style, their design is driven by convenience and comfort.
Closed in 1933 during the Depression, the Bank of Saginaw was remodeled in 1939 for Sears and Roebuck and demolished in the 1970s when the Police Station was constructed. However, the Consumers Power Building was not altered. Since Consumers Power left the building it has been used for various retail purposes and is currently vacant.
R.B. Palmer. Letter to Kahn, 11 July 1928. Albert Kahn Papers. Bentley Historical Library, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Special Section. Saginaw Daily News. 18 April 1928. Section 2.