321 SOUTH JEFFERSON
(Constructed for Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Dunk)
Constructed: c. 1870
Architect and Builder Unknown
Originally this wood frame home had a low-pitched roof with wide overhanging eaves and a three-story tower. About thirty years after it was constructed, the tower was removed, a new steeper roof was constructed and a new porch was constructed. The changes dramatically transformed the house and they appear to have been undertaken to update the home and make the house seem more stylish. It is interesting to note that the distinctive groups of windows in the gables appear to have been salvaged from the original tower.
In the mid-twentieth century, the house was converted into a doctor’s office and apartments. At that time, the c. 1900 porch was removed.
Currently the home is owned by Neighborhood Renewal Services of Saginaw, Inc.
“View of East Saginaw to Southeast.” Saginaw Illustrated. New York: International Publishing Company. 1888.
"Goodridge Brothers Studio." Goodridges’ Art Souvenir of Saginaw, Michigan, USA. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Albertype Co. 1902.
East Saginaw and Saginaw City Directories