<<Back to main page

310 SOUTH JEFFERSON AVENUE
Kingdom Life Ministries

Site 7
(Formerly Jefferson Avenue United Methodist Church)
Constructed 1867, Architect: A. Barrows & Garnsey, Chicago, Illinois
Chapel, 1960, Architect: Frederick W. Wigen and Associates,  Saginaw, Michigan

 

 

Stereoscopeview, Goodridge Brothers Studio Photograph of Jefferson Avenue United Methodist Church

The congregation was organized in 1852 and in 1867 ground was broken on this Gothic Revival Church. The first service was held in the building on August 7, 1868. The sanctuary seats 900 people and is located on the second floor above the noise and activity of the street.

 

Copy photograph of front elevation, c. 1867Originally the building had a steeple rising to 162 feet - higher than any other structure in the city.  It was toppled by a storm in 1896.  According to newspaper accounts “residents in the neighborhood long feared the tall spire which overtopped them to dizzy height and some of them [said] they are not sorry it has disappeared, especially since no loss of life was occasioned by its fall.”  The tower was repaired and reconstructed without a steeple.  The current steeple was constructed in 1987 - it is not as tall as the original steeple.

 

 

 

 

 

 

View of interior, c. 1870

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

Sources

Saginaw Weekly Enterprise 15 March 1866. 3.

Dedication Article. Saginaw Daily Courier 28 December 1868.

Cartwright, Lloyd J. Our Little Brown Church: The Jefferson Avenue Untied Methodist Church of Saginaw, Michigan.

Saginaw, Michigan: The Jefferson Avenue United Methodist Church. 1978.

"Methodist Parsonage." The Saginaw News 11 August 1940. 9.